Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Lime Green Makes Me Happy

So my opening post was about my love of creativity and how I love to create things. I find creativity in just about everything. And I can CREATE with just about everything. However, there is ONE medium that eludes me -- The Web!

I have just never gotten into web designing. I don't really know what it is about web design that stifles my creativity, but I have pretty much no interest in it and when I contemplate doing it, my creativity tank totally empties. Maybe someday I'll be able to break down that wall and it will open up a whole new world for me, but at the moment, it's just not my thing.

With that being said, I've decided to start a creativity blog. I choose BlogSpot/Blogger, as I had played with it before and it was recommended by a friend. Lucky for me, it has some great templates to choose from.

My day job is as a graphic designer, and it hurts my "designer ego" a bit to default to someone else's "template." But I've chosen to view it as just a "canvas" where I can showcase my creativity and not as a representation of my "creativity".

As I went through all of the supplied templates, I did contemplate the options that had pretty curly-Qs, fun doodles, or just a space scene (I love space), but I settled on this simple Lime Green template…because Lime Green makes me happy…and when one is happy, their creativity flows much more freely.

"Lime Green Makes Me Happy" became sort of a motto of mine some years back. I think it may have actually started when I moved into my first apartment and I discovered that the peach kitchen it came with did NOT make me happy. My landlord said I was free to paint it whatever color I wanted to, so I went to the paint store, looked at all the colors, brought some sample chips home and discovered that the lime green just made me smile. My husband thought I was crazy, but he knows that I'm the "creative one" in the family and if it was going to make ME happy, it made US happy (smart, smart man). So the lime green went up on the walls and it was a huge success!!! Everyone who came into our house LOVED the Lime Green kitchen. It made me happy. It made me feel cozy. It made me feel creative…as the kitchen tended to be the place where I did most of my projects.

Several years later we moved to another apartment and this time the kitchen walls weren't painted yet, as the landlord had just finished remodeling the kitchen. I again asked if I could paint it lime green, and he said it was fine as long as it wasn't to dark. So I got my Happy Lime Green kitchen once again.

Me, in my Happy Lime Green Kitchen #2. Notice I'm also WEARING Lime Green




Another view of Lime Green Kitchen #2

Counter space in my Happy Lime Green Kitchen #2






During this time, my office at work was being renovated, and being that we were an "art department" we decided to paint the walls with color rather than the white walls we had had for so many years. Everyone in my design group new of my "motto" and they had started to adopt it as well. I would say, how can you be Unhappy when you look at that color? So we decided as a group to pain the walls Lime Green and we've never regretted the decision. The office has been that color for almost 10 years now and we still get comments on it.



My work space at Work

Happy Coworker in our Happy Lime Green Office
Our Lime Green Office SPARKS creativity!


About 2 years ago, I and my family moved once again. We had no real plans to move, but one late fall evening I happened to see a friend post pictures of an apartment she was renting and low-and-behold, it had a lime green dining room!!!! I was SOLD! Once we moved in, the dining room also became my craft room, so it's my creative center :)
My crafting corner in my Lime Green Dining Room. I found this cabinet on Craig's List and repainted it and added the curtains in the window to hide all my crafting supplied inside. It works perfectly in the room!


So it only makes sense that my blog dedicated to all the creative stuff I do and think about would be Lime Green. It really DOES make me happy when I see it. I hope it does the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment